Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Surgery + 13 days


Almost two weeks after my POEM surgery I can report that I have gained 2 pounds from my pre operative weight of 138 lbs..  Swallowing feels as if there were never any problem at all and my energy level is much more even since I can take in more calories and eat a more balanced diet of fruits and vegetables along with my proteins.  Some large bites of bread are still a little slow to pass into my stomach but the sensation is not the same as it was before the surgery.  I am reluctant to flush the bites with water at this point as it seems like it would only put more pressure on the surgery site so I simply wait a minute or two and it usually passes.  I can say that the times I have had the slow passages of food have been when I have been less diligent about taking smaller bites and chewing more.  I do not need to consider the bite size or chewing for most foods any more only thick substances such as bread.  The eating is so fantastic, to lay into a full plate of salad is so satisfying since salad was a forbidden food for me not long ago.   I do not have a single sensation which would lead me to remember I had surgery just two weeks ago.  I don't think that would be the case had I had the laparoscopic myotomy.
Cheese in France is quite a bit different that in the USA.  Yum.  Next trip we will get a book that explains all the different types.  The variety is astounding.   In Strasbourg not far from the Cathedral is La Cloche a Fromage which has a restaurant serving tons of cheese as well as a Fromagerie (cheese store) across the street.  

The rampart in Riquewihr.  One of the most beautiful villages.

Road to Andlau 20 min. south of Strasbourg.  The wine route must be stunning in the summer.  There definitely was a certain beauty to it in January.  This picture is actually lower in the valley towards the Rhine river where more vegetables are grown.

I purchased a few more Tylenol for the trip home which I did not need.




1 comment:

  1. hello , je vais prendre le temps de lire et de traduire à mon retour en Alsace...pensées..

    ReplyDelete